Our History

History of Quincy Notre Dame High School1867

The School Sisters of Notre Dame bought the “Bishops Residence” ($25.00 down payment). “Convent School of Infant Jesus” opened at 8th and Vermont. Within a year the school went from 12 to 116 students.

1872

The central and north wings were added: dormitories and classrooms.

1873

The school was chartered by the state and called “Saint Mary Institute.” A two year high school curriculum was introduced.

1876

The third floor was added: more classrooms.

1890

Chartered as a three year High School.

1894

Chartered as a four year High School.

1910

The school was fully accredited as “St. Mary Academy.”

1924

The name was officially changed to “Notre Dame of Quincy.”

1935

April – Notre Dame of Quincy accepted as member of North Central Association of Secondary Schools and Colleges.

1940

Quincy College Academy for boys closed and the boys came to Notre Dame for what was to be a “temporary stay.” The boys stayed for 19 years which required equipping and remodeling the school for the influx of male students.

1952

Construction of a new gymnasium ($251,000). Today this facility houses the Catholic Youth Organization (CYO), and Q.N.D. uses it for a practice gym.

1957

Notre Dame’s enrollment had increased to three times what it was 20 years before, and plans for a new boys high school were adopted.

1959

Notre Dame again became an “All Girls School” and a new boys school was opened at 10th and Jackson streets, staffed by the Christian Brothers religious order. The school was called “Christian Brothers High School.” Quincy Pastors asked their parishioners to finance the $800,000 cost of construction, and the local parishes responded by pledging $1,145,000.00.

1960

Presented the first graduating class from C.B.H.S.

1967

The parishes and friends of Catholic youth again responded to the financial needs of the growing new school, and an additional $175,000 was raised.

1969

The Christian Brothers announced they no longer had sufficient personnel available to staff C.B.H.S.

1970

Two Servite Fathers and Servite Brothers agreed to administer and teach at the boys high school. A new Quincy Corporation was formed and the boys school was converted to a locally-owned private institution controlled by a Board of Directors, which was made up of local business men and women of all faiths. The school would now be chartered as “Catholic Boys High School.”

1971

Catholic Boys High School and Notre Dame High School asked the Quincy community to invest in their schools. Leaders of industry, business, and the professions, as well as Catholic and non-Catholic lay people, responded to their plea by pledging over $400,000 spread over a three-year period.

1975

An effort was made to provide a broader, more expanse program. Notre Dame and Catholic Boys High Schools agreed to consolidate. Once again the Quincy and surrounding communities be- came instrumental in helping the newly-consolidated school by pledging $500,000 over a three-year period to supplement operating cost and provide some capital improvement.

1976

The School became known as “Quincy Notre Dame High School” and is still operating under this same name today at 10th and Jackson.

1977

The Quincy Notre Dame Development Program started, under the direction and leadership of the Quincy Notre Dame Foundation, which had been incorporated in 1968. It also became apparent that substantially regular fund raising efforts were going to have to be made for the support of Quincy Notre Dame High School. Thus the annual giving program was initiated.

The Foundation Board hired an Executive Director to carry out the Foundation’s business. Annual giving, planned giving, memorial , giving and alumni giving programs are a part of the overall Foundation endeavor.

Quincy Notre Dame High School is operated by a Board of Directors composed of laymen, laywomen and clergy of the Quincy Deanery.

The Board of Directors of the Quincy Notre Dame Foundation is separate and distinct from the Board of Directors of the high school, and the Foundation has no control over the budget and operations of the School.

Quincy Notre Dame High School has tax-exempt status under the Springfield Illinois Diocese. The Foundation, on April 23, 1968, received a letter of tax-exempt status on form L-178 from the Internal Revenue Service. It has been, and is now listed in the cumulative list of organizations described in Section 170 (c) as published by the Internal Revenue Service.

1984-1989

Quincy Notre Dame saw many changes during this time including the addition of a computer room, Remodeling the main office, room 15, installing new windows and renovating the chapel.

1990

Quincy Notre Dame renovated the library and added entrances into what would be constructed into the courtyard a few years later.

1995

Quincy Notre Dame hired the first layperson in school history as principal, Ray Heilmann, a position he would hold for more than 17 years.

2006

Quincy Notre Dame expanded its blueprint with the addition of the Willer wing including new classrooms, conference room and cafeteria expansion.

2008

Quincy Notre Dame experienced a technology boom with the arrival of smart boards and ELMO’s.

2010

After a successful Adopt-a-Mac program, through the QND Foundation, a Mac Lab was established.

2012

Quincy Notre Dame began offering 1:1 learning with every freshman receiving an iPad. Within three years, all students had iPads.

2014-2016

Quincy Notre Dame was blessed with generous donations and grants for campus enhancements such as a new choral classroom, renovated band room, new baseball field, and a new football/soccer field.

Print Friendly